A popular snack among urban dwellers across the country, enriched mandazi is a doughnut made with eggs plus fresh milk and conditioned with margarine; it is a favourite breakfast item for the entire family.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
• Put flour, salt, sugar and lemon rind into a bowl and mix.
• Mix all the water with the milk and warm.
• Add margarine into the dry ingredients and rub in.
• Add eggs onto the dry ingredients and mix.
• Add the warm diluted milk into the bowl and knead the mixture into a soft dough.
• Cover the dough with a dump cloth for 40 minutes.
• Heat all the cooking fat in a pot for 10 minutes or until the oil bubbles when a pinch of dough is dropped in the oil.
• Roll out the dough into the desired thickness; about a ¼ of an inch thick.
• Cut the dough into preferred shapes.
• Gently drop the cut-out pieces into the hot oil.
• Fry one side until golden brown and turn.
• Remove from oil and place onto paper towels to drain any excess oil.
• Repeat the process with the rest of the pieces.
• Serve as desired